Automatic AI-based Pneumonia Detection from Chest X-ray Images (MedCHeX) and It’s Application to Coronavirus Pandemic (COVID-19)
National Cheng Kung University
Automatic detection of pneumonia on X-rays continues to be an important issue. Our system will process the images to assist doctors to determine whether the patients are infected. We first created a ResNeXt based deep learning model to automatically detect the presence of pneumonia.As we continue to face the rapid increase in confirmed Coronavirus cases around the world, we created an AI-based pneumonia detection platform for COVID-19. The system is able to automatically detect high-risk patients with pneumonia that will then send alert information to doctors. With that information, the doctors are then able to make follow-up decisions and provide a treatment plan after the diagnosis.Our system has already been tested with and adopted by doctors at the NCKU Hospital. The system achieved 95.5% sensitivity and 99.0% specificity to detect the pneumonia symptom, based on 1,363 test images.
Epidemic Prevention Advantage：
1. Quickly identify patient symptoms.
2. Find out confirmed cases earlier, leading to decrease the risk of community spread.
3. Improve work efficiency and reduce work
4. Improve the accuracy of interpretation of X-ray images of patients with pneumonia
5. Allow medical staff to focus on treating high-risk patients.
Collaboration Options：Intelligent Medicine Product